VIEW EACH HOLE OVERVIEW
Course Two Overview
An 18 hole course was developed along with additional facilities for the Natal Estates Limited staff. In 1946, a more substantial clubhouse was opened and membership extended to ‘town’ members. This was to mark a historical and trying period ranging from flood damage to a fire that reduced the magnificent clubhouse to a mass of rubble. From this heartbreaking ruin arose the highly acclaimed Mount Edgecombe Country Club.
Plans for the second course began in 1994. Daysen, De Villiers and Van der Merwe were commissioned to design the championship course directly south of the existing course on Estate 1. Course 2 was opened at the end of ’97 and is undulating and different from the estate’s No 1 course, with indigenous bush in places, and its share of imposing water hazards. This course has its own small club house overlooking the Pani Dam where fish eagles can be spotted.
The design philosophy adopted by the golf course architects was a course that is challenging, but fair – where a serious golfer could test his skills but an occasional golfer could enjoy the game.
Designer: Daysen, De Villiers and Van der Merwe (1994)
Distance: Champ 6262m, Club 5811m, Ladies 4945m, Par 72
Character: The topographical features include undulating hills with isolated indigenous bush, a stream running from East to West, the Pani Dam and two sensitive wetlands.
Signature holes: Two memorable holes are the eighth and ninth, running alongside the Pani Dam to complete the front nine. Water guards the left side of the holes, and indigenous bush the right, so make sure that you’re accurate from the tee.